Friday 17 June 2011

How Turntable.fm will change music forever

Turntable
Will it?

I don't know, but I have heard a wall of noise about this new site, Turntable.fm, this week and I've logged in and had a look around - and I was hooked - a bit.

Go and check it out. It's in a 'Beta' mode right now so you might be able to log-in if someone you know (i.e. a Facebook friend) is already a member or you can sign up to their invite list.

I'll point you to this article for the full explanation, but in essence this is a social newtork that allows you to play music to others in self-selecting groups (rooms) and as such it could be the much vaunted 'music recommendation engine' that so many people have hoped for.

On the other hand, it might just be a fun way to play records to people.

I did enjoy it and found myself listening to records that I had forgotten I liked and discovering new ones.

Will this change music forever? - maybe, or maybe not. But I have an odd feeling about it! One thing I do really like is that the way that people vote on each song in the room as it plays could give real feedback on whether people like a song - an unbiased opinion that is otherwise hard to come by.

Check the article here.

Go to Turntable.fm here.

No comments:

Post a Comment