Wednesday 1 December 2010

Make your art more valuable to others

Image by betsyweber

I hadn't had a rummage around Derek Sivers blog for ages - but I was rewarded when I did - if you haven't read it, you should - as you'll learn a lot.

Derek ran CDBaby for ages and did so as a DIY musician himself - so he has learnt a lot too!

I picked this post to mention, but I could've picked many others - maybe I will.

I like this post as it accepts a fundamental truth about the starving artist - you need to see your music how others do and see why they will or won't support you financially.

When someone creates something that is really important, powerful, and valuable to them, it's hard to imagine that it's not important, powerful, and valuable to others.

But money only comes from doing something valuable to others.

The starving artist pours his heart into personal expression that's incredibly valuable to him, but not (yet) valuable to others.  That's why no money comes.

The good news is there are two ways out of the starving artist problem, and either one can be fun.

Read the whole post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment