Thursday 10 February 2011

Great song + YouTube = Hit

 

So, here's me sticking my neck out.....a bit.

This song was tipped by Record of the Day today - so maybe I'm just jumping on the bandwagon!

I'm not going to say a great deal other than this guy is obviously really talented and this song is truly great. It fulfills the things that we mentioned in this piece the other day about James Blunt - honesty and clarity in songwriting.

I'm well aware that this sort of song, style and genre really annoys a lot of 'artists' - as being too cliched, soft, lacking in edge (and a whole host of things). That's up to you, but don't delude yourself that you can't learn from it.

I'd go as far as to say that this song feels nearly as big as Blunt's 'Your'e Beautiful' did when it first came out. That's the bit where I stick my neck out. Maybe it is, maybe not. It's still great.

The YouTube element is clear too. It's a simple well shot one take performance and he's obviously built a small following up from previous songs on YouTube. But, this is where people are coming to discover him and send their friends - sure, radio is now spreading it.

But where do you send your mates to hear it? YouTube.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment