Wednesday 19 January 2011

Do we need a vetted MySpace?

Roostie has appeared on every self respecting music industry blogger's radar today.

Have a look at these pieces on the Guardian site and HypeBot.

It's a social network / artist promotion site that aims to restrict itself to a maximum of 3000 artists chosen from submissions by a panel.

Quite what happens when they hit their 3000 limit isn't clear - although I have asked them to let me know! If they do, I'll pass it on.

I'm not against another place for artists to upload a profile and maybe reach new fans, but I'm not sure that it's the future either.

The recipe for building your fanbase is to get your own site and the key social networks (Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and MySpace) plus music sites like Last.fm, Pandora and ReverbNation. That's where the traffic that may like your music is....in droves. So that's where you need to be.

If Roostie can become a hot destination for music fans then we can add it to that list but it's a very big challenge for them. Remember Ooizit? Me neither!

That said - I would have a profile everywhere one was available if I had all the time in the world - but you need to prioritise.

No comments:

Post a Comment